With brown sugar and pineapple juice.
We talked about the the history of American use of pineapple in the recipe for pineapple layer cake from Lutz, Florida; we took a look at the source for pineapple upside-down cakes in the recipe from Ceres, California.
From the box of Evia Marie Sands of Louisville, Kentucky.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 or 5 slices pineapple
1 cup self-rising flour
5 Tablespoons pineapple juice
- Light and adjust oven to 350 deg.
- Melt butter and brown sugar.
- Blend the egg yolks and sugar until light.
- Blend alternately the juice and flour with the beaten yolks and sugar. Beat the eggs and fold in.
- Place pineapple slices in melted sugar and butter. Pour batter over this mixture and bake 30 to 40 minutes.