Don’t use these instructions. If you want to try canning, use modern instructions like these.
From the box of C.N. sold in De Soto, Kansas.
Steps for Cold Pack Canning
- Grade product.
- Wash product.
- Blanch vegetables and hard fruit, [large?] blackberries or small fruit.
- Plunge product into cold water. This is called “The cold dip.”
- Remove skins.
- Pack in clean jars that have been tested.
- To fruit add syrup. To vegetables hot water and 1 tsp. acid to each quart.
- Adjust rubbers and covers.
- Partially tighten cover.
- Sterilize or “process product to reduce time.”
- Remove jar from boiling water.
- Tighten cover of jar.
- Invert to cool.
Yesterdish reminder: Use modern canning recipes and methods.