With a lot of exposition. It feels pretty clear to me at this point that Catherine took a course in home economics.
From the box of C.N. sold in De Soto, Kansas.
1-1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 c. fat (Crisco)
cold water to make a stiff dough.
- Have all ingredients cold.
- Mix and sift dry ingredients
- Cut fat into flour using two knives or pastry mixer. Flour and fat should be consistency of coarse flour.
- Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough. Do not [have?] dough stiff.
- Divide dough. Place 1/2 on a floured board. Roll to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cover pie pan, sure that there are no air bubbles under the crust. Crimp crust at edge (for one crust pie). Prick bottom crust if it is to be baked before filling is placed in it. Bake in a hot oven.