I’m not sure if those are sarcastic quotation marks. While Cool Whip can do some amazing things in desserts, I’ve never thought of it as a meringue substitute.
From the box of D.E. from Maumee, Ohio.
Vanilla Cream Pie Filling
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 Tbsp. butter (oleo)
1 tsp. vanilla
Baked pie shell.
3 egg whites, beaten with 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
6 Tbsp. sugar
“May omit meringue” and use Cool Whip topping.
Vanilla Cream Pie Method (provided by Yesterdish)
- Over medium heat, cook sugar, flour, salt and milk until mixture boils; cook for two minutes, stirring to avoid the taste of raw flour.
- Temper egg yolks, then add to mixture. Cook two more minutes.
- Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla. Stir and allow to cool.
- Fill pre-baked pie shell.
- If using meringue, beat egg whites with cream of tartar and sugar till soft peaks form. Top pie with meringue.
- Bake pie at 350 deg., 12 to 15 minutes.