Really, a pineapple and coconut cake.
Softasilk is a Betty Crocker brand cake flour product. In 1945, Betty Crocker produced this educational film about cake that includes Softasilk in the ingredients, and a similar method of measuring egg whites and not creaming the sugar.
From a box sold in Canby, Oregon.
Pineapple Festival Cake
Preheat oven to 350 deg. Grease two 8″ x 1-1/2″ pans.
Sift into bowl:
- 2 1/2 c. Softasilk cake flour
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. shortening
- 1 c. liquid (1/2 c. milk, 1/2 c. water)
- 1 1/2 tsp. flavoring [vanilla or rum, presuambly]
Mix at medium speed on mixer (middle of dial) for 2 minutes.
Add 1/2 c. egg whites (4); beat 2 minutes.
Fold in 2/3 c. coconut.
Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 deg.
- 2 T. shortening
- 1 T. butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
- 2 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
- 1/2 c. crushed pineapple