“Simmer until the entire house smells divine.”
From a box sold in San Antonio, Texas.
- 3 large red peppers
- 3 large green peppers
- 1 cauliflower, divided into small florets (sliced)
- 1 pt. onions sliced very thin
- 3 carrots — slivered
- 1 large (or two small) cabbage shredded or thinly sliced
Bring to boil and pour over chopped and sliced vegetables.
- 2 Tabelspoons salt
- (more) 1/2 box mustard seed
- (more) 1/2 box celery seed
- 1 quart cider vingar
- 6 cups sugar
Let stand overnight. Pack in sterilized jars. Do not reheat.
Suggestions: get alpha to chop and slice vegetables. She knows how.
The half box of mustard and celery seed is 1/2 of a 1-1/4 oz. box.
Mix (well!) vegetables in a very large bowl before adding juice.
Allow vinegar and seasonings to simmer until the entire house smells divine.
Place a heavy plate over vegetables and sauce to keep vegetables covered.
Recipe from the kitchen of J. Taylor.